[OpenSIPS-Users] Asynchronous DB queries in OpenSIPS 1.x

Brett Nemeroff brett at nemeroff.com
Wed Mar 16 18:32:16 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Vlad Paiu <vladpaiu at opensips.org> wrote:

>  Hello all,
>
> Problem :
> 1) Extend the OpenSIPS DB core. Add extra core processes that would only
> handle queries that return no results.
>     For example : The accounting module need to insert an entry in the DB.
> The module calls the insert() function. Behind the scene, this triggers
> passing all the arguments to the new core processes, via IPC mechanisms. The
> insert() then exists and the SIP children continues execution as if the
> entry has been inserted in the DB. Meanwhile, the DB core processes receive
> the new parameters, build and send the query, blocking if necessary.

Maybe I'm just saying the same thing another way, but what about an async
execution queue. So you basically add to the queue messages to be executed
to the database and on some sort of timer loop process them. To the script,
we just assume everything is 100% successful.

Is IPC really necessary for this? The goal here is really just to offload
the processing elsewhere so that the DB slowness doesn't adversely affect
opensips core performance. right?

I thin it's also important that there is a async execute and a sync execute
and people (users?) need to know that in the async execute, you won't know
if the execute succeeded in the script logic *ever*

-Brett