[OpenSIPS-Users] newbee question: web phone application

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at opensips.org
Wed Mar 9 10:28:46 CET 2011

Hi Bernhard,

In order to get a SIP server, I see 3 options for you:
    - use a free SIP service as opensips.org
(http://www.opensips.org/Resource/VoIP) - you can configure your web
phone to use such free VoIP services, so you do not have to care about
how a SIP server works

    - use a free SIP platform - For OpenSIPS, we have a free ready to
run provider service on a virtual machine - the OpenSIPS VM
(http://www.voice-system.ro/shortcuts::opensips_livedvd) - you can
download and run it. It has everything there, for a simple service

    - use a commercial product (based on OpenSIPS) - see
http://www.opensips.org/Resources/Business

I hope you will find this info useful.

Bernhard Finkbeiner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a web developer and am very new to VoIP. So please forgive me if
> this email should not be suitable for this mailing list. In this case,
> I would appreciate a tip to where I could ask my question (see below).
>
> We are building an online community where users should be able to
> contact specific community members via a call button (i.e. a VoIP web
> phone). The user and the community member should not have to install
> any additional software to do so.
>
> An example:
>
> User A visits the website and will see a list of X members which are
> momentarily logged in to our website (i.e., they are "online"). Next
> to each member's name is a call button. User A can now click on a call
> button of a member he wants to talk to. Let's say, user A calls member
> B by clicking on member B's call button. Now the web phone would have
> to ring on member B's side and if he answers they can have a web call
> using their computers with microphone and speakers (or headset, of
> course).
>
> As an option, it would be nice if member B could also provide his
> phone number in his profile such that such a VoIP call gets forwarded
> to his phone.
>
> Another nice option would be the possibility if the calls could also
> go to member B's SIP / VoIP mobile phone or any other device that is
> capable of receiving such phone calls.
>
> Now my questions: I found client software (e.g. doddlephone) for this
> problem but I have no idea about the (SIP) server side of the problem.
> Could we set up such a server with opensips? Or do you know companies
> that provide such a service? I would be grateful for any tips and
> hints into the right direction.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance,
> Bernhard

OpenSIPS eBootcamp - 28th February 2011