[OpenSIPS-Users] with more PIDs i would have more capacity?

Vlad Paiu vladpaiu at opensips.org
Fri Jul 22 12:55:59 CEST 2011

Hello,

In the current OpenSIPS design most of the operations are done in
blocking mode ( DB, DNS, etc ). So, it is useful to have more SIP
children, because in case on child gets blocked in doing a database
operation, for example, other SIP children will come and process the SIP
traffic.

Yes, the number of children should be chosen depending on the hardware
available, especially the number of CPU cores available on the machine.
Too few SIP children will not use the hardware to it's full potential,
while too many SIP children, compared to the number of CPU cores, might
downgrade performance, because of the heavy process context switching
that will be happening.

Vlad Paiu
OpenSIPS Developer