[OpenSIPS-Users] ratelimit: per group/account limiting

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at opensips.org
Fri Feb 25 17:59:55 CET 2011

Hi Ovidiu,

actually we were flirting for some time with extending the ratelimit
module to allow dynamic creation of  pipes - this will give you more
flexibility in scripting and scenarios (like dynamic number of trunke,
DB provisioning, etc).....But this was a bit postponed as there are
other more important things to do and resources are limited ;)

Ovidiu Sas wrote:
> There are two different things:
>  a. channel limitation or concurrent call limit;
>  b. ratelimit or cps limitation (cps = cals per second).
>
> With the dialog module, you limit _only_ the number of concurrent
> calls (a).  How fast will a SIP trunk be saturated is up to the cps.
> If you have a limit of 30 calls and the calls are coming in at a rate
> of 1 cps, in 30s you will reach your limit.  If the calls are coming
> in at a rate of 15 cps, you will reach the limit in 2s.
>
> With the ratelimit module, you limit _only_ the number of calls per
> second that are processed.
> If you set a cps limit of 5 cps and your incoming traffic is 100cps,
> then every second the first 5 calls will go through and the next 95
> will be rejected (based on TAILDROP algorithm).  If the traffic is
> steady for 10s, then you will have 10x5=50 active calls and 10x95=950
> rejected calls due to cps limitation.
>
> Now, if you combine both (30 channels max and 5cps limit for incoming
> traffic at 100 cps), during the first 6s you will saturate the trunk
> (by accepting the first 5 calls and rejecting the other 95 every
> second) and all calls after that will be rejected.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> Regards,
> Ovidiu Sas
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Ronald Cepres <rbcepres at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 6:10 AM, Ovidiu Sas <osas at voipembedded.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If a virtual PRI is set up (23 channels for NA or 30 channels for
>>> Europe), again the cps doesn't really count.  As soon as the virtual
>>> PRI is maxed out (in terms of channels) all subsequent calls will be
>>> rejected (and the cps will be 0).
>>>

>> Hi Ovidiu,
>> Does that mean that if i have a concurrent call limit of 30 for a user and
>> he bursts 500 cps, he still wouldn't exceed 30 cps?
>> By the way, I use a method similar to the one posted in the tutorials to
>> limit concurrent calls
>> (link: http://www.opensips.org/Resources/DocsTutConcurrentCalls)
>> Thanks!
>> Regards,