[OpenSIPS-Users] new "disable_503_translation" parameter

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Wed Sep 22 11:29:29 CEST 2010

Hi Alex,

503 is to indicate a failure of the next hop, so it is a kind of
hop-by-hop failure indication. So, it is bogus to forward should reply
as you will forward the failure indication to a wrong hop.

For example 503 reply is used for DNS-based failover (as trigger).

So, if you have something like:
    phone   ->    proxy   ->   GW

If GW generates a 503 to indicate a failure (so the proxy to take any
failover actions), such reply must not be forwarded to phone, as
otherwise the phone will interpret the reply as a failure indication
from proxy.