[OpenSIPS-Users] OpenXCAP user authentication format

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saul at ag-projects.com
Tue Nov 30 09:24:37 CET 2010

On 11/28/2010 06:47 AM, duane.larson at gmail.com wrote:
> I am trying to get Bria and Snom to use the same XCAP documents. I am
> having issues getting to play well with together with OpenXCAP.
>
> Currently the only way to get Bria xcap config to authenticate with
> OpenXCAP you have to manually set the username to be the OpenSIPS
> subscriber. If you tell Bria to "Use SIP credentials" OpenXCAP thinks
> the username is actually "sip" because it is taking the "sip" from the
> uri "sip:XXXXXXX at xyz.com". Yet for some reason when a Snom phone sends
> its username info OpenXCAP takes the whole sip uri as the username
> successfully, but the authentication still fails because no user exists
> that has the full uri "sip:xxxx at xyz.com"

OpenXCAP uses HTTP digest authentication mechanism (by default) so after
it answers with the 401, specifying the realm and nonce, it's the client
application the one that will take the username, password, realm, nonce,
etc and answer with that hash.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digest_access_authentication#Overview)

If you are using the integrated mode with OpenSIPS and not using
cleartext passwords, HA1 values are stored, not passwords.

> I am wondering what can be done when it comes to OpenXCAP user
> authentication. Below you will see 3 displays.

Well, it's the user providing the wrong credentials, what do you expect
OpenXCAP to do here?

I didn't have the time to test a Snom properly though I do have one and
will test it when time allows :-)

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects