[OpenSIPS-Users] Register attack!

Flavio Goncalves flavio at asteriskguide.com
Tue Nov 2 18:40:04 CET 2010

Hi,

Register attacks are now an epidemy. In most cases they are using the
friendly-scanner (svcrack.py) from sipvicious.org. One easy way to
block is to check the user agent for the words "friendly-scanner"and
drop the packets (an attacker could easily change the user agent, but
most of them are just script kiddies). There is a good tutorial in the
opensips website on how to use fail2ban to block the IP address of the
offenders (I think this is the best long term solution).

http://www.opensips.org/Resources/DocsTutFail2ban (posted in sept/2010
by the user named aseques)

In some cases, when the attacker uses an old version of svcrack.py it
floods your server. I have received four gigs of traffic in a single
day from just one source. There is a small utility from sipvicious.org
called svcrash.py capable to crash the attacker sending a malformed
packet.

I hope it helps, it has been a pain to handle these attacks everyday.
In a normal day we are receiving from 4 to 8 attacks from different
sources.

Flavio E. Goncalves
CEO - V.Office
Fone: +554830258590/+554884085000