[OpenSIPS-Users] keepalived for HA OpenSIPS

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Mon Mar 15 11:38:17 CET 2010

Hi Gavin,

Gavin Henry wrote:
> On 15 March 2010 09:52, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <bogdan at voice-system.ro> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gavin,
>>
>> As I understand you try to solve the SPOF issue with the your opensips
>> front load balancer, right ? Instead of adding another component to do
>> the monitor the LB, why not using a HA system (vrrp, heartbeat, etc) to
>> have an active-backup configuration for the LB ?
>>

> Hi Bogdan,
>
> That's what I said:
>
> "We'd like to put a keepalived in front of both OpenSIPS servers".
> keepalived is VRRP.

Oh, ok - I thought you meant another fronting app doing the KA to the
opensips servers (LBs)
> My question is you'll still have just one keepalived server monitoring
> the systems.
>
> I'm trying to understand what others do here. We have for this customer:
>
> DC1:
>
> OpenSIPS <-> Asterisk...Asterisk...Asterisk
>

> DC2:
> OpenSIPS <-> Asterisk...Asterisk...Asterisk
>

> What do others put in front to switch between the two datacenters but
> still avoiding having one keepalived/heartbeat server inbetween these
> two DCs?

The vrrp or heartbeat does not requirement any extra servers - these
application are run on the same servers are the front-end app (OpenSIPS
LB in your case).

Here, the concept is of having a floating IP (controlled by vrrp or HB)
that may be dynamically moved and attached to a server (the opensips
servers in your case).

These mechanisms require to have the servers (sharing the IP) to be in
the same network (as ARP pings are used) - and also you cannot simply
move an IP from a network to other.
> Do you address this by having a few heartbeat/keepalived servers that
> get returned for the DNS records, for example:
>
> sip.mycustomer.com returns a keepalived IP that is running in each
> datacentre whereby each VRRP server points to both DCs. Then if anyone
> one goes down its points to the other?

your DNS will point to a virtual IP, where this IP may be mapped either
to the opensips in DC1 or in DC2 . VRRP will be running on the opensips
servers in both DC.

www.voice-system.ro