[OpenSIPS-Users] Virtual DB failover wrangling

Jock McKechnie jock.mckechnie at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 17:49:09 CET 2010

Greetings Bogdan;

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 5:29 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <bogdan at voice-system.ro
> wrote:

> > If I start OpenSIPs and then on the .100 DB do an iptables REJECT to
> > simulate a DB problem OpenSIPs will simply retry the alias lookup
> > infinitely.
>
> the retry is from mysql lib or from opensips mysql module ?

You know, I'm not sure. The way I knew it was retrying was by watching port
3306 traffic via ngrep. How would be able to tell which lib was initiating
the retry?

> > Curiously, if I set up the iptables block, THEN start OpenSIPs, and
> > toggle the block on and off, the failure mode appears to work as it
> > should, which really confuses me.
> The difference may come from the fact that the failure is detected at
> startup - if you start with the DB server down, opensips will not
> connect at all at that DB.
>
> Have you tried to start opensips with all DB servers up and simple stop
> the primary one ? does this case work ?

No, unfortunately not. This case it retries repeatedly without end,
apparently.

> > Have I got an issue with how I expect this to work? How I've got it
> > set up? Or do we think my testing methodology is bunk?
> I would rather say there is something wrong in the DB virtual...
>
> I will try asap to make a test setup to see what exactly is going on

Thank you very much, Bogdan! Let me know what I can do to help, if anything.

 - Jock