[OpenSIPS-Users] [RFC] What repo to use for 2.0 ?

Stanisław Pitucha viraptor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 21:21:01 CET 2010

Sorry, my message seems to be cut by mailman (according to the
sourceforge archive) - resending full version:

I'd go with - "please no SVN" ;) (or at least keep an official mirror
in another repo type)
Why?

- We're keeping a number of patches that are company-specific, so will
never go into Opensips-proper and could be much easier to manage if
they were in some distributed repo supporting patch queues properly.
Also managing what patches were selectively ported back is a bit
easier with git I guess. I know that git and mercurial support patch
queues quite well at least.
-  Also github and bitbucket services are quite popular if people want
to keep a copy of their own forks / branches public. I think that
could also help with patch submissions - instead of attaching a patch
to some tracker item and looking up which revision they patched in the
first place, people could just point at a specific github/bitbucket
revision in their fork.
- From your side, it could be also helpful - instead of posting
something like "Please test the attached patch - it is a highly
experimental fix" (it's your comment from one of the bug reports), you
can just say - checkout revision "8678289312" which is a branch used
only for that bug - available on the official repo, but not in any
trunk or version-branch. I'd be really happy if Opensips used either
git or mercurial.

Cannot say anything about bzr - maybe it's good, but I never used it
and it seems to be less popular choice...

Thanks,
Stan