No subject

Thu Dec 2 10:23:01 CET 2010

h are
scalability and stability. I don't have the financial and manpower reso=
urces
for a large scale implementation so am looking at getting a high end se=
rver
and a solution that can scale well until I can through in more resource=
s. It
seems also FS is more stable than * which is a huge plus for a small
operation like mine and since I only need few features from the solutio=
ns
available then FS makes more sense

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Michael Collins <msc at freeswitch.org> wr=
ote:

> [...]
>> them for two reasons: migration time and voicemail app I feel is sti=
ll
>> better in a couple points. They are low volume usage so crashes are =
very
>> rare.
>> We also have some boxes where we connect to telecom PRI circuits whe=
re the
>> API for FS doesn't support some params we need to set. So we are stu=
ck there
>> for now. There systems handle moderate volume, 30 - 90 simultaneous =
calls.
>> This call volume has proved to be deadly to asterisk and we have to =
restart
>> asterisk daily or suffer a crash in the middle of peek times.
>> We use FreeSwitch as the workhorse with a custom routing module comb=
ined
>> with Opensips as a class 4 switch (whole sale trunking service). Wit=
h high
>> powered servers (latest dual xeon quad core, 16GB ram, and 10Gbit et=
hernet)
>> it can handle thousands of simultaneous calls. They run for months w=
ithout
>> problem (would be longer but for reboots for upgrades, etc., not FS
>> crashes).
>> We also have a class 5 system that handles residential users which u=
ses FS
>> and opensips for failover. Again no FS crashes.
>> FS is also our conference server for all our services.
>>
>> We started out using * building the business PBXs. Later found FS as=
 we
>> were developing the residential system and converted to using it.
>> Coming from * to FS has some difficulties because of the different w=
ays of
>> doing things like the flow of the dialplan where all conditions are
>> evaluated at the time of entry to the dialplan, not as each line is =
executed
>> (executing another extension solved this problem for me).
>> I do think FS has a little higher learning curve, I have found it be=
tter
>> in almost every area, especially stability and flexibility.
>>
>> Well, those are my 2 cents. :-D
>> Dave
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Michael Collins <msc at freeswitch.org=
>wrote:
>>
>>> Comments inline. (Full disclosure: I am on the FreeSWITCH team, so =
if I
>>> come off as biased then you know why. ;)

>>> YMMV, but a large percentage of FreeSWITCH users have abandoned Ast=
erisk
>>> specifically because of stability issues, like random and inexplica=
ble
>>> crashes.

>>> This statement is patently false. The FreeSWITCH event socket inter=
face
>>> is incredibly powerful and is absolutely more consistent than the A=
MI. Those
>>> wondering about inconsistencies in the AMI should listen to a seaso=
ned AMI
>>> developer talk about the challenges:
>>> http://www.viddler.com/explore/cluecon/videos/29/

>>> This one really is like Coke vs. Pepsi. Some people hate XML, some =
people
>>> hate INI-style config files. Personally, I've done both and now tha=
t I'm
>>> accustomed to FreeSWITCH's XML files I find them much easier to rea=
d than
>>> Asterisk's config files. There is one "real advantage" to using XML=
 for
>>> configs and that is that machines and humans can both produce XML, =
so it's
>>> relatively simple to let a machine generate XML-based configs on th=
e fly.
>>> (FreeSWITCH uses "mod_xml_curl" as the basis for dynamic configurat=
ion -
>>> it's very cool and I recommend that you check it out.)

>>> Almost all NAT problems stem from phones which don't handle NAT pro=
perly
>>> or NAT devices that scramble ports and IP addresses when packets pa=
ss
>>> through. FreeSWITCH has several NAT-busting tools to assist the sys=
tem
>>> admin. Some tools are for when FS is behind NAT, others are for whe=
n the
>>> phones are behind NAT. Bottom line is this: if the NAT device and t=
he phones
>>> are not horribly broken then FS works great with NAT and in many ca=
ses "just
>>> works." However, when you start mixing crazy scenarios with broken =
phones
>>> then bad things will happen. Example: Polycom phones are wonderful =
except
>>> that they don't support rport - FS has a mechanism to assist with t=
his but
>>> if you turn it on to "fix" the Polycom phones then it will break al=
l other
>>> phone types. (There is a limit to the amount of pandering that the =
FS devs
>>> will do in order to interop with broken devices. In many cases they=
 simply
>>> say "NO" to doing stupid things in order to work with broken device=
s. If you
>>> must work with such a device then perhaps FreeSWITCH isn't for you.=
)

>>> All that being said, the FreeSWITCH developers have a simple mantra=
 that
>>> they follow to the letter: Use what works for your situation. If As=
terisk
>>> works for you then by all means use it! You won't hurt our feelings=
. (I work
>>> daily with the FreeSWITCH dev team.) If you have people knowledgeab=
le in
>>> Asterisk or FreeSWITCH then it might be advantageous to go with the=
 project
>>> for which you have more resources. In any case, if you are interest=
ed in