[OpenSIPS-Users] OpenSIPS maximum performance in a multiprocessor machine (SMP)

Italo Dacosta idacosta at gatech.edu
Wed Sep 16 17:01:51 CEST 2009

Adrian Georgescu wrote:
> Hi Italo,
>
> Just out of curiosity. How much is enough for you as scalability goes?
> Doing 20K cps will yield how many established sessions in 3 minutes
> time? More simultaneous calls then all traffic generated by a whole
> country?

Adrian,

That is a good question and I agree with your point. However, what I am
trying to understand is how efficiently OpenSIPS is using the hardware
resources available and if its performance can be optimized.

I am using a basic configuration for my tests (stateless server, no
authentication, no DNS). In a more realistic scenario, the additional
functionality will reduce proxy's performance considerably.

I am interested in the performance with authentication. Given SIP's
flexibility, I can think of scenarios where more SIP messages are
authenticated (not only INVITEs and REGISTERs), and where more services
require authentication (i.e., IM, presence). In this scenario, if the
performance of the proxy is not good enough, an option could be to
upgrade the hardware or add load balancing tools. I would like to know
if we can do better without adding more hardware or components.

Also, having extra-performance is a good thing, specially in situations
when unexpected loads happens (i.e., flash crowds, emergencies, DoS
attacks).

I will appreciate any more thoughts or comments regarding this subject.

Thanks,
Italo