[OpenSIPS-Users] Ucarp (new topic)

Brett Nemeroff brett at nemeroff.com
Wed Sep 2 20:57:32 CEST 2009

Honestly, it's been a while since I've had a need for this. When I used
this, I did it with asterisk. It was ugly, but very functional. The daemon
runs basically as a single command. All options can be specified on the
command line. Then you specific an up and a down script.
In my configuration, each server had it's own IP. The ip and down script
would manage the passage of a virtual IP. The daemon used a cryptographic
heartbeat and an elections process to decide who was up and who was not
(allowing you to specify that sever A is always ACTIVE as long as it's
available) OR you can specify a non-revertive configuration where if Server
B becomes active because A is down, A will not become active again unless B
goes down. I used rsync+cron to manage the configuration and database tree
and the script would reload everything upon a configuration change.

For opensips, it should be pretty simple I'd imagine. I was very happy with
it. From my experience LinuxHA (don't laugh) had too much documentation for
me to go thru to do a simple virtual IP. So I favored UCARP.

I *probably* have a better attention span now. :)
-Brett