[OpenSIPS-Users] OpenSIPS ALG

Robert Dyck rob.dyck at telus.net
Wed May 13 19:20:49 CEST 2009

I like the idea that we could maintain a local registrar that accurately
reflects the remote registration. I would go so far as to say that it would
be useful to be able to optimize opensips as an ALG. Some people could use a
proxy as an edge device on a LAN. You could have several phones with the same
user name register with a service provider. Some service providers limit the
number of contacts per AOR. This would have the side effect of keeping the
signaling associated with forking on the LAN. By detecting local calls, media
could also be kept on the LAN. Such an edge device might have a dynamic IP
address. It would be helpful if opensips could conveniently be setup to fix
the contacts. Using the received address does not work when the phones are on
the same LAN as the proxy.

Opensips has a bias toward service providers. This is quite understandable.
However I feel with a bit of tweaking it could serve as an ALG for the home
owner or a small business.