[OpenSIPS-Users] Opensip and asterisk

Oguzhan Kayhan oguzhank at bilkent.edu.tr
Wed Mar 25 15:11:39 CET 2009

> Both can act as a registrar, both can route calls.
>
> You may not like the way asterisk does it (I certainly don't). But they
> both
> can do it. Yes, you can setup phones to register to asterisk and opensips
> provide LCR. Alternatively, you can have opensips as a registrar and
> asterisk do the lcr. Yeah, asterisk doing LCR would be nuts, but it can do
> it. I certainly wouldn't recommend it. But the point is, deciding which
> platform you want to do what.
>
> And as far as what asterisk "is designed for". That's entirely a matter of
> opinion. I personally think it's designed for a low grade pbx. While
> others
> will argue that they distribute thousands of calls with it (in fact
> compare
> it to opensips even!).
>
> I see several places of overlap, and like I said, each product has it's
> own
> strenghs. It's simply a matter of opinion.

What i am planning is to use asterisk as a media gateway mostly to my E1
PSTN lines... And Voice Mailbox option.. And opensips as sip proxy
mostly..
I think i am gonna have about 1500-2000 users, so asterisk by itself wont
be enough i think.

So any working opensips configuration examples around to reroute to
another sip gateway??