[OpenSIPS-Users] Opensip and asterisk

Brett Nemeroff brett at nemeroff.com
Wed Mar 25 15:04:31 CET 2009

Both can act as a registrar, both can route calls.

You may not like the way asterisk does it (I certainly don't). But they both
can do it. Yes, you can setup phones to register to asterisk and opensips to
provide LCR. Alternatively, you can have opensips as a registrar and
asterisk do the lcr. Yeah, asterisk doing LCR would be nuts, but it can do
it. I certainly wouldn't recommend it. But the point is, deciding which
platform you want to do what.

And as far as what asterisk "is designed for". That's entirely a matter of
opinion. I personally think it's designed for a low grade pbx. While others
will argue that they distribute thousands of calls with it (in fact compare
it to opensips even!).

I see several places of overlap, and like I said, each product has it's own
strenghs. It's simply a matter of opinion.