[OpenSIPS-Users] UTF8 in MySQL database

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Wed Mar 25 07:15:51 CET 2009

On Tuesday 24 March 2009, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As I was just doing upgrade from OpenSIPs 1.4.4 to 1.5.0 I took a look
> at the database and found out it was latin1-encode. I didn't like it
> much (if any non ASCII characters are supposed to be allowed in the
> database then why should it be limited to only a few languages in the
> world?).

Latin-1 is 8 bit transparent. So you can throw at it whatever you like and
it will get you back exactly what you put in, without having to worry
what the input encoding is. UTF-8 requires you that your input in already
formatted UTF-8.

> I have found out that opensipsdbctl reads the MySQL server
> default charset setting, so I have changed it to utf8… only to find
> out, that:
>
> „WARNING: Your current default mysql characters set cannot be used to
> create DB. Please choice another one from the following list:”
>
> What is the reason for rejecting UTF8? No other setting seems to make
> much sense in an international environment.

I disagree. Many other settings make sense in an international environment
and latin-1 is the most transparent of them.

--
Dan