[OpenSIPS-Users] NOTIFY nat_keepalive - Bad Event

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Mon Mar 2 10:04:48 CET 2009

On Friday 27 February 2009, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
> Hi Carlo,
>
> I think the problem is with the phone as they do not understand the
> "keep-alive" event sent in NOTIFY.
>
> It is nothing you can do about this (in is not on the proxy side).
> Maybe in the future we can add a module parameter for removing the
> Event header from the REQUEST and make the dummy phone happy.

That's not gonna work. A NOTIFY without an Event header is invalid and I
see no reason why a phone could accept it that way. Most likely one will
get the same (or maybe some different) negative reply.

> Anyhow, as best practice , the OPTIONS method is more appropriate for
> nat pinging.

I have to disagree. OPTIONS generate 2-3 times more traffic because of the
bigger replies. OTOH, it doesn't really matter if we get a 200 OK or a
negative reply to such a keep-alive request, does it? All it matters is
that the device behind NAT sends something (anything) to keep the NAT
open from inside. NOTIFY gets the job done with less traffic, which makes
it better.

--
Dan