[OpenSIPS-Users] Feature-request: AVPs for nat_traversal

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Wed Jun 10 22:28:19 CEST 2009

On 10 Jun 2009, at 21:07, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:

> Dan, what about this? this will accelerate the migration from
> nathelper to nat_tranversal module, what do you say?

I can see the benefit of having the keepalive interval customizable
per user, but I'm not sure what's the advantage of having the
keepalive method customizable per user. In my experience all devices
I've encountered respond to either OPTIONS or NOTIFY and in the end it
doesn't really matter if they give a positive or negative reply for
that matter. All it matters that they give a reply back. I would be
curious to hear how the keepalive method per user can help and in what
cases. If one can imagine a use case for custom keepalive methods, I
would rather see that on a per device basis not per SIP account basis.

Anyway, I'm open to patch submissions. But first let's see if these
additions really serve real use cases that are not covered by the
existing design, or just provide suboptimal solutions that could be
achieved with the existing code. I'd like to hear some arguments and
examples of real use cases for them. I'm interested to avoid getting
in the creeping featurism zone.

> As time as it is not technical nightmare (from implementation point
> of view), this feature make sense to me.
>
> Regards,
> Bogdan
>
> Thomas Gelf wrote:
>> I would also like to take occasion to propose a new feature: adding a
>> parameter named "keepalive_interval_avp", allowing to set individual
>> keepalive intervals for customers with special needs.
>>
>> Also "keepalive_method_avp" would be a useful addition. Both changes
>> would probably require modifications to keepalive_state_file and
>> corresponding internal structures, but I think this could be solved
>> in a backward-compatible manner.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Thomas Gelf

Dan