[OpenSIPS-Users] Fresh install from source gives 'too many hops'

Brett Nemeroff brett at nemeroff.com
Tue Jun 9 02:31:28 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc at aliax.net> wrote:

> El Domingo, 7 de Junio de 2009, Matthias Barremaecker (ContactAS) escribió:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've installed opensips from source and everything seems to be all
> > right, yet when I add an user (witch works) and I try to login with that
> > user from a sip soft phone, I get 'too many hops'. I could guess it has
> > something to do with the routing, but I don't have any clue to where to
> > start to look.
> >
> > I get the same when I login with the 'admin' user as stated in the
> > install document.
> >
> > Could I get some help ?
>
> Most probably you are using DNS domains in clients configuration, but you
> have
> not configured OpenSIPS to recognize itself as the owner of those domains.
> Use "alias" option or "domain" module to add domains to OpenSIPS.

Either that or perhaps you arn't doing anything with the call. If opensips
doesn't change the RURI in it's "routing" then it'll end up sending it back
to itself. What Iñaki is refering to is when opensips doesn't think the
destination is for itself (a domain it doesn't recognize) it will forward it
onto that destination as a proxy. Which ends up sending it back to itself.
And it repeats this over and over until opensips kills the call for having
too many hops. This is a very common mistake to make when getting started.
:)

-Brett