[OpenSIPS-Users] Upgrade version problems in a production system (mediaproxy)

Raúl Alexis Betancor Santana rabs at dimension-virtual.com
Mon Jul 27 11:01:38 CEST 2009

On Monday 27 July 2009 09:34:50 Adrian Georgescu wrote:
> > My question is: can I use a debian unstable in production "mission-
> > critical" telephony systems?
>
> We do use only unstable for more than five years now for highly
> available SIP platforms, if this gives you some indication of
> reliability.

That's more than walking on the blending edge, just my opinion.

With my personal systems I do really scrapy things ... "waling far away from
the blending egde" ... but not with production eviroments.

> The software we are talking about, is natively developed, tested and
> deployed on unstable distribution. So the fact that it works on stable
> today is a matter of temporary luck

No, it's a matter of been well done, moreover taking into account that are
python scripts, not C or C++ code that depends on lot of libs.

> (the previous debian stable was
> several years old, nothing recent enough worked on it).

That's not true, lattest Debian Stable release 5.0r0 that is from 6/29/2009,
so not "years ago" as you suggested.

> Based on
> experience, sonner or later some library will not be available in
> stable and you will need to repackage all dependency chain by
> yourself.

And that's an admin task ... so what's the problem with this?

> The amount of incremental work you will need to do, will
> exceed the 'safe feeling' you get from running a so called stable
> distribution.

Also not true, at least with Debian.

> There is no magic bullet, 'stable' does not mean it will
> be trouble free especially when it comes to running such bleeding edge
> software.

Mediaproxy it's not a blending edge software (from my point of view), it's
true that NOTHING could be called "stable" for sure, but on Debian unstable,
packages are not warranted to run, ever to install without crashing all the
system (on a normal way, that does not occurs, but you don't have any warrant
of so)

But this is only a matter of POV's.

--
Raúl Alexis Betancor Santana