[OpenSIPS-Users] Disabling TCP or UDP (RFC forbidden)

opensips at encambio.com opensips at encambio.com
Fri Dec 18 13:59:10 CET 2009

Hello list,

Somewhere I read that OpenSIPS 1.6.0 allows to disable TCP but not
UDP because UDP is required by the SIP RFC, so I looked at the RFCs.

  RFC 2543 states that 'UDP and TCP should be implemented.'
  RFC 3261 states that 'UDP and TCP must be implemented.'

It would seem intuitive that OpenSIPS developers force the OpenSIPS
runtime to conform to the most recent RFC, meaning that neither UDP
nor TCP listening is possibly disabled.

...or the developers allow the admin (config file editor) to disable
either UDP or TCP. This could be because the developers want to
support the oldest RFC for backwards compatibility for example,
or because they want to allow the admin to make the decision
themselves.

But the current release of OpenSIPS does not allow UDP to be
disabled, while allowing TCP to be disabled. Can somebody explain
why this policy was chosen or what is wrong with my logic?

Regards,
Brian