[OpenSIPS-Users] SIP Trunking

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Fri Aug 21 14:33:54 CEST 2009

On 20 Aug 2009, at 21:52, Jeff Pyle wrote:

> Matthew,
>
> While I'm no Mediaproxy expert, I have seen many conversations on
> this list
> where Mediaproxy is described as a part of a far-end NAT solution.
> It was
> not designed to have a private IP attached to it.

Just to eliminate any misunderstanding, mediaproxy can work just fine
with a private IP address. Why we recommend to always use it with a
public IP address, is because in that case it is able to automatically
deal with the deadlock that occurs when multiple media relays are
chained. When private IPs are used, you are responsible for solving
the deadlock yourself and considering that you have no idea when
another media relay may be chained into the media path, nor who is
operating that media relay and under what assumptions, you are most
likely unable to solve the deadlock issue when using private IPs.
Unless you are in a strictly controlled environment where you can
employ a specific protocol that would prevent media relays to be
chained, you are better off using a public IP. If all this is not an
issue for you, then feel free to use a private IP address.

--
Dan