[OpenSIPS-Users] Multiple Area Codes in Customer Area

osiris123d duane.larson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 21:14:25 CEST 2009

Thanks for the info.

I will look into this and work up a config.

I also got this direct email about my post from someone else who lives in
the US.  I figured I would go ahead and post below what he sent just so its
out there.

Hello Duane --

You have hit on one of the more difficult areas in SIP and telephony in
general -- especially here in the North American Numbering Plan.  Below I
will address the problem in general, and not particularly related to the
OpenSIPs question, because IMO you need a solution that will work in any
architecture, not just OpenSIPs.

In a nutshell, I recommend that for your USA users you:

1.) Require From: and Contact: headers to be in NANPA National (10 digit)
format.  This is method is standard in the telephone industry, and will
allow easy integration with North American ANI or Caller ID format,
especially when a call may eventually be handed off to the PSTN.

2.)  Require incoming To: headers to be in e.164 International format, i.e.
NANPA-destination numbers all begin with the 1 digit, followed by the 10
digit National number.   Any incoming call to 612xxxxxxx goes to Sydney,
Austrailia, and not Minneapolis, MN.  This requirement should be enforced at
the perimeter of your network, where Customer Equipment can enforce the
"local" digit normalization policy.

3.)  If you can't enforce #2 above, you will need to "Normalize" incoming
calls to the e.164 International format prior to routing.  The unfortunate
reality here in the USA is that the requirements for how many digits to dial
for a given destination (the "dialing plan") depends on where the call comes
from.   Here in the Chicago area, residents of the 847 area code must today
dial all calls as 11 digits.  Calls within the 312 or 773 area code may
today be dialed as 7 digits, however beginning on 07 November, all calls
originating in 312 and 773 must be dialed as 1+10 digits, due to the new 872
overlay area code.    For more information, see
http://www.nanpa.com/reports/NPA_Dialing_Plans_05_09.pdf

4.)  Finally, if you have any termination carriers who need special
"prefixes,"  append them after you have made your route selection.

If you would like further information or discussion, please feel free to
contact me.

John S. RobiXXXX

jXX at communXXX.com