[OpenSIPS-Users] mailing list reply-to : list or sender

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Wed Aug 5 00:41:57 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 05 August 2009, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
> "normal" is a fuzzy word. I can do the change, not a problem, but just
> to past what mailman says:
>
> "Where are replies to list messages directed? Poster is *strongly*
> recommended for most mailing lists.  ->  Poster     This list
> Explicit address "
>
> Currently is "Poster"(which is recommended) and you suggest "This List".
>
> To be honest I consider logical the "Poster" setting as primarily I'm
> talking with a person on the list and not to the list.
>
> But any other opinions are welcome here.

"The List" is a worse choice than "Poster" because it limits my choice of whom
I want to reply to and makes it more complicated to reply to the sender alone.
When using "The List", if I want to reply to the sender alone, I need to
employ manual copy/paste of his address, after I manually delete the list
address which was automatically added when replying. This is awkward and
annoying.

With "Poster", I can easily use reply, to reply to the sender alone, or "reply
all" to send to both the poster and the list and the list will make sure the
poster will receive a single copy anyway.

I don't think nowadays it could be an issue to anyone, as I can't imagine a
mail user agent without a "Reply all" function.

--
Dan