[OpenSIPS-Users] Contact header

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Wed Aug 5 00:14:32 CEST 2009

Raúl Alexis Betancor Santana wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 August 2009 21:15:54 you wrote:
>
>> saying that the dialog module is broken is an over-statement - I admit
>> there are some issues that still need to be worked out in the module
>> (forking and early dialogs) - see the thread on the devel mailing list,
>> but otherwise the module is pretty fine.
>>

> For what I try to use it .. if it have no support for earsly dialogs and
> forking ... it's broken and it's useless (for me)

ok - to be honest I'm glad to have feedback - it is important for the
developers to fully understand what are the needs in the real-life platform.
So, there is one more item on my TODO list for the dialog module.
> I wonder how other could use dialog module and other modules that depends on
> it with such "limitations" ...

depends on how "critical" these "limitations" are for them... the early
dialog support is not realy required in all the scenarios where dialog
support is required.

>>> I know, maybe someday in a near (or not so near) future, I could use some
>>> of that fancy features, by now I prefer to have a
>>> SIP-Proxy+Registrar+Presence on Kamailio (sorry I don't use OpenSIPS
>>>
>> That explains why you have such a good opinion over the dialog module
>> ;). So I understand your statements on the  OpenSIPS dialog module is
>> done without actually testing it...
>>

> Your are wrong here, both modules have same problems, in fact Kamailio module
> have some fixes I have not seen on OpenSIPS one.
> I follow and test both projects, I prefer to use kamailio and I port some
> modules/fixes from OpenSIPS to Kamailio, so I know what I'm speaking
> about :-)

I might be wrong as I have no idea how took over the maintenance of the
dialog module in kamilio - it simply out of my interest.
Just to remark that between 1.4 and 1.5, major re-work was done in the
dialog state machine and in the interfacing with TM module (along with
changes in TM module) in order to fix some critical issues related to
dialogs management.

Not sure how much of these fixes were ported into kamilio, but again ,
this is out of my interest.

>> you can do the same think in many ways. Depends of what you aim to do
>> and how suitable to components you are using are for your purpose - a
>> B2BUA is a powerful component (and intensive resource consumer) you can
>> use for changing a header in a request or for doing complex call/media
>> bridging .
>>

> Or for doing accurate accounting (and please .. let us not beging that thread
> again, each one have it's own oppinion about this ...), or for T.38 support,
> or many other things.
>
> We use Callweaver as B2BUA just for PSTN relaying, accouting and T.38 support,
> for other things as VoiceMail,VirtualPBX, Conferences, IVR, etc. we use SEMS.

correct - as said a b2bua can offer a lot of functionalities and its
usage is  justified by what functionality you need. My point was that
for simpler things its better to use simpler solutions - simpler
solutions tend to break not so often as a complex one ;)