[OpenSIPS-Users] How to run opensips in the foreground

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Mon Apr 6 20:19:43 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 07:31:57PM +0300, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> setting "fork=no" is not an option (you have only one UDP interface, no
> TCP, no TLS....)
>
> I think it is an issue with upstart......there are many other apps that
> fork at startup...

And this fork is just workaround for the issues with SysV-init based
systems… The fork is a method to make the init process take care of a
daemon. With upstart (and other supervisors, like e.g. daemon-tools) no
such magic is need (the init process or supervisor starts the daemon
process itself and tries to control it) and the forking only makes
things more difficult.

upstart 0.5 can handle forking daemons, but that is just a workaround.
'Going into background' should be just an option of services.

I would be happy when opensips can properly run in foreground, too.

Greets,
        Jacek