[OpenSIPS-Users] [OpenSIPS-Devel] OpenSER - RTPproxy Benchmark Test

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at sippysoft.com
Sat Sep 20 00:44:45 CEST 2008

Alex Balashov wrote:
> I'd be curious to know if you get better results using MediaProxy 2.0,
> now that it uses kernel packet routing hooks for the RTP switching.
>
> 750 is quite disappointing.

Alex,

I think before calling it "disappointing" you should note the following
few things:

1. The tests were performed using the old 1.0 version. In the latest
stable version 1.1 we have made several important performance enhancements.

2. This was a synthetic test, therefore its results should be taken with
the grain of salt, as it might not accurately simulate real world
conditions.

3. In order to take advantage of dual-core architecture, some extra
effort is necessary (see http://www.rtpproxy.org/wiki/RTPproxy/FAQ).

Just to give you indication of the real-world numbers I just checked one
of the production systems our customer use. The 4-core 3GHz Xeon system
routinely pushes around 40-60MBps of RTP traffic and runs 4 copies of
RTPproxy in parallel. Each of 4 copies has since the last boot forwarded
about 30,000,000,000 RTP packets and used some 150,000 seconds of CPU
time. As you can easily calculate, the peak packet forwarding capacity
should be 4 x 200,000 packets per second, that is 800,000 RTP packets
per second per whole box. With the shortest possible 10ms packets, this
should allow for max 8,000 sessions, probably even more with 20 or 30 ms
packets. Even if you discount that peak number heavily by 20-30% (to
account for possible CPU time accounting errors in the Linux kernel and
other scalability issues), still you will get conservative estimate of
4,000-5,000 sessions per server.

Maksym Sobolyev
Sippy Software, Inc.
Internet Telephony (VoIP) Experts