[OpenSIPS-Users] [OpenSIPS-Devel] Why the best response is 408 instead of 486 when parallel forking?

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Mon Oct 27 19:03:14 CET 2008

2008/10/27 Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc at aliax.net>:
>> I do not think that 6xx should be considered before 4xx or 3xx. 6xx means
>> global response and if you get a 4xx and a 6xx at the same time, it is
>> obvious that a device took a global decision that another device doesn't
>> agree upon. 6xx should only be sent when a device knows _for sure_ that
>> no other device can answer a call and it can give a final answer in the
>> name of all devices (which is practically almost never when you have
>> parallel forking).

I understand what you say. You are talking about devices that decide
to reply a 6XX. An endpoint should never sent a 6XX (since it could
also break sequential forwarding to a voicemail server for example),
but the fact is that, in terms of RFC 3261, a 6XX must break parallel
and serial forking and must be chosen as winner reply.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>