[OpenSIPS-Users] Dispatcher Module to Load Balance Many Asterisk Servers

geoffreymina at gmail.com geoffreymina at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 13:55:17 CET 2008

Hello all,
I am just starting to evaluate OpenSIPs for our network. Currently we use a
Foundry ServerIron 4G to load balance our inbound SIP traffic from our
carrier. I want to phase out this device and replace it with something more
open and flexible. It seems like OpenSIPs is the perfect candidate. I have
a question regarding the dispatcher module... and perhaps even SIP in
general.

What I am looking to do is have the OpenSIPs server handle ONLY the initial
INVITE. I want that INVITE forwarded and then the entire transaction to
complete with the forwarded asterisk server. It would look something like:

Service Provider --> INVITE --> OpenSIPs (dispatcher) --> INVITE -->
ASTERISK
ASTERISK --> TRYING --> Service Provider
ASTERISK --> OK --> Service Provider
Service Provider --> BYE --> Asterisk

Obviously the above scenario is greatly simplified, but hopefully i have
made my point. The questions I have now are:

1 - is it even possible with SIP to remove a route hop?
2 - if yes to #1, what mechanism inside OpenSIPS would I use to accomplish
this?
3 - if no to #1 or #2, how do I ensure all subsequent messages go to the
correct asterisk server if I am doing round-robin load balancing with the
dispatcher module?

Thanks, I am really looking forward to getting involved with this project,
looks awesome so far.
-Geoff

Geoff MINA
Chief Technical Officer
Connect First Inc.
P: 678.905.0671
F: 770.429.1433
E: gmina at connectfirst.com
www.connectfirst.com

It never gets easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond