[OpenSIPS-Users] RFC: new opensips design

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Fri Nov 7 13:32:24 CET 2008

Hi all,

As previously stated, there is a common consent that the current
design/architecture of OpenSIPS/OpenSER (inherited from SER) is no
longer able to deliver and to meet the present requirements and demands
for OpenSIPS future evolving. It is simply an inevitable dead-end that
needs to be avoided.

Why? - I made a summary here -
http://www.opensips.org/pmwiki.php?n=Development.NewDesign#toc1

I guess all of you are aware of the critical problems like blocking DB
or RADIUS, blocking DNS, lack of scaling, too complicated scripting,
message changes processing , etc.

To be able to deliver a solution that will be able to satisfy the the
growing complexity and scale of the SIP world, a new radical design is
needed. It will be process of intensive thinking and work, but the
result will be a license for the future.

As a first step of this laborious process, collecting feedback from all
of you, about the is missing, what are your wishes, about the
known/unknown limitations, etc I just open an new web section where we
can compile all this information.

It is not a request for solution, but a request for current problems! We
need to know all the problems that people facing in order to come up
with a design that will solve them all.

Please visit:
    http://www.opensips.org/pmwiki.php?n=Development.NewDesign

and freely post there - any feedback is a valuable input and investment
in this project.

Thanks you,