[OpenSIPS-Users] Why does NAT keepalive only work for UDP?

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Mon Dec 15 12:16:42 CET 2008

Hi Klaus,

Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Iñaki Baz Castillo schrieb:
>
>> Well, if we think in UDP, a client could also send periodical
>> NOTIFY/OPTIONS to the server to mantain the "connection" open (but
>> it's not very usual), why a client should care about it just in case
>> of using TCP?
>>

> Smart clients send CRLF anyway, regardless of the protocol. You could
> also trigger short reREGISTERs intervals for TCP clients.

IMO, abusing REGISTER just for the nat traversal purposes is the worst
you can do for your system. Registration is a very "expensive" service -
you need authentication, security checks and finally DB impact. And you
will add all this burn on your system just to keep a NAT open. Why not
using dedicated mechanism, very light ones, that will have small impact
on your system (like SIP ping is just about sending and receiving
messages, no other costly ops involved)