[OpenSIPS-Users] [OpenSIPS-Devel] Planning next release - Roadmap

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Mon Aug 25 10:49:19 CEST 2008

On Monday 25 August 2008, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following the discussions (lists and private), here is the list with
> what is to be done for OpenSIPS 1.5.
>
> The items are grouped in two categories - what should be done for 1.5
> (mandatory) and what would be nice to have (optional). The list does
> not cover the contributions (patches), like the MSRP and Xcap-diff
> modules uploaded by ag-project (which are already done).
>
> For the grouping, an important factor was taken into consideration (as
> you may notice, some important items were set as optional) - there are
> plans for a complete rework on the opensips architecture that will put
> things into a new light - a discussion about OpenSIPS 2.0 will be
> started sooner on a separate thread.
>

> Mandatory:
>
> 1) TM - cancel processing (Reason header, cancel per branch from
> script, auto processing in script)
>
> 2) TM - transaction building - split in 2 phases to be able to go
> stateful asap (for retransmissions), but to be able to apply changes
> (like lumps, flags, etc) until you do relay.
>
> 3) dialog - more work on BYE (sending byes from script makes sense ?)

Maybe a way to make the dialog module send the BYEs when the dialog
expires.

> 7) PV - try to find a consistent NULL behaviour for all script
> variables

If this would require too much effort, like rewriting large portions of
the pvar system, then I think it's not worth it, in the light of this
being unnecessary with the new design of 2.0. I would rather put the
effort and work in 2.0, since there are workarounds this and it can be
lived with.

> 8) start the work on introducing "context" for message processing - any
> future work on async processing depends on this.

same as above. contexts will be unnecessary with the new design of 2.0.

> 9) starting working on a B2BUA module based on TM (like for topology
> hiding)

same here. 2.0 would allow this to be built easily, so I'd rather not
invest the effort for 1.5.

> Good to have:
>

> 1) dialog integration in NAT and SIPTRACE modules - do control at
> dialog level instead of transaction level

nat_traversal and mediaproxy already have dialog integration. dialog
integration in siptrace would be nice though.

> 3) db_mysql - prepared statements to speedup a bit

again, if the effort is too big, not sure if this item is worth pursuing,
as 2.0 will not need it (most likely).

> 8) AVPs - use auto aliasing everywhere - aliases in script and IDs
> internally - this will make the AVP easier to use and less confusing
> (having only $avp(name)) and also more efficient (internally all AVPs
> will be $avp(i:id))

same here. too much effort for something that will go away and brings no
real enhancements other that some speedups and a simpler way to work with
avp aliases.

--
Dan