[Users] OpenSIPS project
bogdan at voice-system.ro
Mon Aug 4 11:29:30 CEST 2008
A new project - OpenSIPs (Open SIP Server) - became active today, with
its first release (OpenSIPS 1.4.0).
What is OpenSIPS about?
Voice System started the OpenSER project with a vision of running an
open project that will deliver a professional software. Along the years
Voice System was the main contributor and sustainer of the OpenSER
project, organizing conferences, events and tutorials, all aiming to
consolidate OpenSER as a top solution for industry VoIP.
In the past time, several critical problems related to OpenSER project
were identified by us:
- the need for a new reliable release - delayed or low-quality releases
are affecting the credibility of the project
- degradation of the project quality - testing, performance measurements
and code quality control are overlooked
- lack of the control, management and coordination of the project -
critical project issues could not be handled or solved
OpenSIPS is a continuation of the OpenSER project - we have a moral
obligation to develop and deliver the high quality and reliable software
we envisioned when starting OpenSER.
1) a 6 months release cycle, but with no compromise for the technical
2) extensive testing and performance measurements before each major release
3) contributions are guaranteed to be answered and integrated (if
accepted) in less than 1 month
4) code review, architecture control and integrated design for software
5) technical management with a strict developer hierarchy and developer
cooperation to prevent deadlocks or un-availabilities
6) intellectual honesty by having decisions taken on value-based
criteria and arguments.
To find more about the project, see the official web page :
OpenSIPS 1.4.0 release:
First major release of OpenSIPS is n**ow available. It incorporates new
* dialog profiling extension
* local route for internally generated requests
* dial plan / translation module
* general NAT traversal module (for non-invite signalling)
* peering and rate limit (traffic shaping) modules
, enhancements like:
* SRV load balancing (based on weights)
* nonce re-usage verification (safer authentication)
and bug fixing - code, specs and functionality bugs.
The full Changelog is available on the web site:
To get the OpenSIPS 1.4.0 version, see the download page at:
More information about the Users