[OpenSIPS-Devel] OpenSIPS clustering in 3.0 and 2.4

Donat Zenichev donat.zenichev at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 10:09:08 EST 2019

Hello OpenSIPS community!

Lately I struggle with one matter around clustering in OpenSIPS 3.0 and
OpenSIPS 2.4
Generally I see a small difference in how the dialog module was configured
in 2.4 and how we configure it in 3.0, in order to achieve a dialog sharing.
This deduction was made due to opensips blog posts read, but might be I'm
missing something.

I used this blog post
https://blog.opensips.org/2019/03/07/achieving-service-redundancy-in-two-steps-with-unified-clustering-in-opensips-3-0/
to see how I should better start working with a clustering in OpenSIPS 3.0

There is a bunch of other articles related to clustering in OpenSIPS (but
for older versions), I wanna mention especially this one:
https://blog.opensips.org/2018/03/23/clustering-ongoing-calls-with-opensips-2-4/

There we have different topologies considered, such as: active/stand-by,
active/active and anycast.

Furthermore we have a clear description of how to configure dialog module
to setup a dialog replication.
It's pretty simple (for with active/stand-by setup), we set:
modparam("dialog", "dlg_sharing_tag", "vip=active") <- for active node
modparam("dialog", "dlg_sharing_tag", "vip=backup") <- for stand-by node

But, there is a big but, I don't see such configurations in a blog post
related to clustering in OpenSIPS 3.0
Should I consider "dlg_sharing_tag" as no-use in OpenSIPS 3.0? (I don't see
"dlg_sharing_tag" modparam of the dialog module as deprecated, in a dialog
module wiki for 3.0 OpenSIPS branch).
So I assume, it's still useful for something?

>From what I understand the concept has changed since 3.0 version? And now
dialog replication is managed with the following modparam?:
modparam("dialog", "dialog_replication_cluster", CLUSTER_ID_HA)

To summarize, the question is,
if I should pay any attention on the article with clustering in OpenSIPS
2.4, when building a cluster with OpenSIPS 3.0 (and thus combine both
configuration guides)

And do I have any advantages when building a cluster with OpenSIPS 2.4?
>From what I can see, the configuration (and thus maintenance) is simpler in
2.4 version.

Thanks for any thoughts in advance.

BR, Donat Zenichev