[OpenSIPS-Devel] GSOC 2018 Introduction

Răzvan Crainea razvan at opensips.org
Tue Feb 20 11:53:14 EST 2018

Hi, Abhishek!

I am very glad you are interested in this project :D. This is actually
my preferred project, because I believe it is going to bring a lot of
value to our community.

As Abdul already figured out, one of the main use cases of this new
module is to have an easier integration of OpenSIPS inside IMS systems.
The goal for this scenario is OpenSIPS to act as a CSCF[1], that will
discuss with a HSS (Diameter server) using the Diameter protocol.

To get more familiar with this project, I would suggest you to:
1. Familiarize with OpenSIPS and Radius - this will help you understand
the goal of your project
1.1. Configure OpenSIPS to do arbitrary Radius queries when a call starts
1.2. Setup OpenSIPS to authenticate users using a Radius Server
1.3. Make accounging for a call using Radius accounting

2. Do some reasearch on Diameter
2.1. What kind of tools are there available
2.2. Setup a Diameter server and find a way to "query" it
2.3. Find a library that allows you to query a Diameter server
programatically
2.4. Mock-up a _very_ simple Diameter client in C

3. Do some reasearch in IMS
3.1. What Diameter interfaces need to be implemented
3.2. Think of a generic way to make a Diameter query

I hope these advices will help you understand better the goal of this
project, and will give you a path to proceed. If you have any other
questions, or you get stuck, don't hesitate to ask (here or on IRC).

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Multimedia_Subsystem#Call_Session_Control_Function_(CSCF)

Best regards,
Răzvan