[OpenSIPS-Devel] Help need to understand the memory log

Răzvan Crainea razvan at opensips.org
Tue Oct 13 14:04:56 CEST 2015

Hi, Surya!

The memory log shows all memory chunks that have been allocated, and the
function that allocated them. Therefore, in order to check for memory
leaks, you need the entire information.

Let's take for example one entry:
        0. N  address=0x7febb9bff528 frag=0x7febb9bff4f8 size=48 used=1
              alloc'd from timer.c: new_sr_timer(150)
          start check=f0f0f0f0, end check= c0c0c0c0, abcdefed

This means that in function new_sr_timer, from file timer.c on line 150,
somebody allocated a chunk of 48 bytes.

What you have to do now is to count how many similar allocations were
made. If they are too many, that might be a memory leak. The "too many"
order is strictly related to your scenario, so there's no magic way to
find out just looking at the memory log. You have to investigate this by
yourself, count how many allocations were made by different functions,
and according to your scenario and traffic load decide whether that
might be a memory leak or not.

Best regards,

Răzvan Crainea
OpenSIPS Core Developer