[OpenSIPS-Devel] [RELEASE] OpenSIPS 1.11 beta major release is out

Liviu Chircu liviu at opensips.org
Mon Mar 24 19:10:18 CET 2014

Hello Ryan,

The limitation of the classic OpenSIPS allocators is that they scale
poorly both with the scripting logic (more logic -> more mallocs -> more
contention), with hardware (the allocation is completely serial), and
with incoming traffic (again, they are serial!).

When discussing CPU performance, the scripting logic itself has a big
impact. Just write a dummy route, and you're likely to be able to handle
10k cps with the existing code.

In the scenario we've optimized, the gains were almost *5x* on a 40-core
machine (went up to 20k cps), compared to the F_MALLOC allocator. The
effective gain would have probably been even bigger, had the logic been
more complex.

However, the new allocator has no defragmentation support - it needs to
be reworked. So if you don't estimate the load on your server well
enough... you'll get core dumps as a reward!

NB: as you might have expected, the processes did not have to handle any
blocking operations.

Best regards,

Liviu Chircu
OpenSIPS Developer