[OpenSIPS-Devel] [ opensips-Bugs-3611677 ] Offiline RTP Proxy causes system freeze

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 24 12:31:51 CEST 2013

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by razvancrainea
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=1086410&aid=3611677&group_id=232389

Group: 1.9.x

Initial Comment:
I have a setup running multiple RTP Proxy instances, when multiple rtp proxies fail, CPU utilisation approaches 100%, this does not usually happen with 1 or 2 failures, but when 4+ fail (this can even be 4 instances on an 8 core/instance machine), the issues arrise.

The severity of this event happening has caused the system to stop responding for short periods, observations notice intermittent periods of no logging information and substantial packet drops (due to high CPU usage).

Once RTP Proxy instances that have failed come back online, CPU utilisation drops right down and everything functions as expected.

Date: 2013-04-24 03:31

Message:
Hi!

When opensips is in 100% CPU usage, can you run the following command:

gdb $OPENSIPS $PID -batch --eval-command="bt full"

Note you have to replace $OPENSIPS with OpenSIPS' executable path and $PID
with the value of the pid that holds the CPU in 100%.

Best regards,
Răzvan

Comment By: Digipigeon (digipigeon)
Date: 2013-04-24 03:25

Message:
Hello Răzvan,

I would make the same assumption, which is expected, however I don't know
why this would lead to 100% CPU usage, surely probing only involved sending
and waiting for a udp packet.

I am using 32 processes on an 8 core machine.
I am not using rtpproxy_disable_tout parameter.
I have not tried to disable via MI command.

Regards Jonathan

Comment By: Razvan Crainea (razvancrainea)
Date: 2013-04-24 00:41

Message:
Hello!

My assumption is that OpenSIPS is trying to probe the other RTPProxy
servers without any success. That's probably why the CPU goes that high.
How many OpenSIPS processes are you using? Are you using the
rtpproxy_disable_tout [1] parameter? If yes, what value are you setting?
Have you tried to permanently disable via MI commands [2 ]the RTPProxy
servers that failed?

[1] http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.9.x/rtpproxy#id250074
[2] http://www.opensips.org/html/docs/modules/1.9.x/rtpproxy#id293384

Best regards,