[OpenSIPS-Devel] [Proposal] Destroy subscription if NOTIFY received 408

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saul at ag-projects.com
Tue Jan 24 18:36:27 CET 2012

Hi all,

While running some tests I realized that if a NOTIFY receives a 408 nothing seems to happen and if another PUBLISH comes in OpenSIPS will try to send another NOTIFY.

Since NOTIFY requests are sent within a dialog, according to RFC3261 (sec 12.2.1) if a response within a dialog is a 481 or a 408 it SHOULD be destroyed.

My proposal is to modify the p_tm_callback in notify.c (presence module) so that it will also destroy the subscription if a 408 is returned.

Doing this is specially insteresting if TCP is being used as a transport and the connection is half-closed: we don't want to keep a broken subscription around, that will make OpenSIPS attempt to make an outgoing TCP connection for every new NOTIFY, that will most likely fail.

If no one is against it I'd like to go ahead and make the change. Comments are welcome :-)

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects