[OpenSIPS-Devel] [ opensips-Bugs-3492500 ] Caller doesn\'t hear ringing in ear when using append_branch

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sat Feb 25 20:22:27 CET 2012

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by duanelarson123
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=1086410&aid=3492500&group_id=232389

Category: core

Initial Comment:
I posted this on the mailing list.  Here is a link that explains the issue

http://opensips-open-sip-server.1449251.n2.nabble.com/Caller-doesn-t-hear-ringing-in-ear-when-using-append-branch-and-serial-branches-next-branches-td7276788.html

I tried to attach the OpenSIPS syslog debug but it was too big.

Date: 2012-02-25 11:22

Message:
The issue is that I don't have a media server.  This is all done with
OpenSIPS relaying.  Here is an example that kind of goes against what you
say with the 180 and 183 messages.

http://pastebin.com/NF6D6f4v

In this example the Caller first calls a user local to OpenSIPS.  Then the
call is forked and a user out on the PSTN network is called.  Finally
another fork occurs and a local user is called.

local user 9012732009	Q = 90	Called First	Caller hears ringing
PSTN  user 90121X8X63   Q = 50	Called Second Caller hears ringing
local user 9013349019	Q = 40	Called Last	Caller hears ringing

So you would think that on the last call the Caller would not hear ringing
in his ear but he does.

So my first example had the following
Callee1 sends a 183
Callee2 sends a 180   <---- No ringing

My second example had the following
Callee1 sends a 180
Callee2 sends a 183
Callee3 sends a 180  <---- Caller can hear ring in ear just fine

So on my second scenario is it because the first callee sends a 180 that
the third callee sending a 180 doesn't mess things up???  Perhaps this
isn't a bug and we can move this conversation to the mailing list, but I
figure OpenSIPS would need a way to fix this or else other people will run
into this say issue when appending branches and calling out to PSTNs that
send back 180 when the second callee sends a 183.

I tested the first scenario with Blink being the Caller and Blink was not
able to hear ringing in the ear when the second callee was called.

Comment By: Muhammad Shahzad (shari_786pk)
Date: 2012-02-24 03:34

Message:
The only difference i see in your SIP trace is that for first call your
media server sends 183 Early Media, while for second call (after 1st times
out) your media server sends 180 Ringing instead of 183.

The difference between the two sip responses is that in case of 183 Early
Media, remote ring back tone is sent by callee endpoint in form of inbound
audio. While in case of 180 Ringing, there is no remote ring back tone and
the caller endpoint suppose to play some local ring back tone to give audio
feedback to the caller.

Therefore, it appears that your caller endpoint does not support local ring
back tone, that's why you don't get any ring back.

For workaround, you can force your media server (if a media server is
really involved), to send 183 early media instead of 180 ringing reply for
each invite.