[OpenSIPS-Devel] OpenSIPS.pm to CPAN

Sawyer X xsawyerx at cpan.org
Mon Apr 9 08:14:24 CEST 2012

Hi,

the Perl module in OpenSIPS is really great. It's very strong, capable and
useful. Thank you for adding it!

In short: I was wondering if it would be possible to prepare a distribution
of OpenSIPS.pm to upload to CPAN. The following email is me trying to
explain (and hopefully convince you of) the benefits of uploading to CPAN,
and offering my help with it.

CPAN (the Comprehensive Perl Archive Network) <http://www.cpan.org/> is a
large collection of Perl software and documentation. It is the largest of
any programming language, and provides modules, libraries and entire
applications. It hosts Perlbal
<https://metacpan.org/module/Perlbal>(flexible reverse proxy and web
server),
Dancer <http://www.perldancer.org/> (micro web-framework),
Moose<http://moose.iinteractive.com/>(unmatched object oriented
framework) and more. Current statistics include
105,570 Perl modules in 24,610 distributions, written by 9,621 authors,
mirrored on 280 servers. In fact, OpenSIPS.pm already uses modules that are
on CPAN: Net::LDAP <https://metacpan.org/module/Net::LDAP> and
Authen::SASL<https://metacpan.org/module/Authen::SASL>
.
 <http://www.cpan.org/modules/index.html>
Uploading to CPAN has major benefits:
- Carrying of software in multiple mirrors (280!).
- Support for carrying multiple versions.
- Automatic documentation renderer on metacpan.org and search.cpan.org.
- Providing users with various clients for installation (cpan, cpanminus,
cpanplus).
- Clients automagically install all dependencies declared (such as
additional modules) with optional "recommended" modules.
- Automatic testing of test scripts on various operating systems, allowing
to find bugs more easily, via integrated testing service (CPANTS: CPAN
Testing Service <http://cpants.perl.org>).
- Optional free ticket system for the module via RT (Request Tracker) by Best
Practical <http://www.bestpractical.com>.
- More visibility (making OpenSIPS more recognized in the Perl community).

I'm willing to help!
I have experience with uploading module distributions to CPAN (I have
written, co-written and uploaded 34 module and application distributions so
far), I am well versed at writing tests (which I'd like to add to
OpenSIPS.pm) and I'd like to revise OpenSIPS's Perl module to be able to
load Perl modules from @INC, which is the path that perl itself (lowercase
perl means the interpreter) uses to search for modules, which will allow
the user to simply install OpenSIPS.pm through a CPAN client and not have
to configure the Perl module path in opensips.cfg.

So, what do you say? :)

Sawyer.