[OpenSIPS-Devel] opensips development / testing

Stanisław Pitucha viraptor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 16:45:58 CET 2011

Hi all,
Bogdan asked me to send this to devel list in case some more people will
be interested this time :)

I had some problems working with core opensips / modules since there is
no good way to test the code without restarting it and throwing actual
messages at it. This makes conditions like out of memory, or specific
transaction states very hard to reproduce (especially timing-based actions).

At some point I created a script to convert opensips into an autotools
build environment (can be found at
https://bitbucket.org/viraptor/opensips_autocheck/changeset/489f863e3240).
It also adds the libcheck framework to the build and includes one proof
of concept test in check_tests/check_textops.c It should apply to one of
late 1.5.x or early 1.6.x versions... (can't remember now which one)
I think something like this could be a good idea for future development,
especially since 2.0 is taking some shape right now. I'm not saying
either autotools or libcheck is "the" choice here, but the general idea
seems working and useful. I'm happy to convert the rest of modules to
work with autotools if the development team wants to try this way.

I think this could improve opensips in the future (give ability to
create regression tests, create ways to test modules without actual
traffic, benchmark module code in tight loop without the network
processing overhead, add some implicit "behaviour documentation" even if
it's the test code only).

So... comments? ideas? how do people feel about it? (maybe I'm the only
one finding sipp silly for debugging ;) )

Regards,
Stan