[OpenSIPS-Devel] media proxy with sangoma

Richard Revels rrevels at bandwidth.com
Thu Aug 26 16:31:18 CEST 2010

I was thinking the media relay would modify the SDP as per normal but set the trancoder IP/port as one side (user configurable?) of the audio stream rather than itself.  Then it would tell the transcoder to send to itself so the packets could be forwarded to the endpoints as usual.

And now that I reread your email, having the connection tracking rules send and receive from the transcoder in the middle of the two sides of the media relay would be much nicer.  The SDP would still have the relay IP/ports advertised to each side.

Good point about the whole SDP mangling thing.  I was thinking only of the case where you know, say, G-729 is available on one side and not the other.  You know you need transcoding so you send rtp through the transcoder and tell each side it is using what it wanted.  In reality the SDP has to be looked at from both ends and then a choice made to use the transcoder if nothing matches, and then modify the SDP for the far end to reflect what it is getting.  It would not be desired to send rtp streams through the transcoder if both sides were already supporting a given codec.

I bet this gets a lot more complicated than I was picturing up until now.  : >

However, I'm thinking there might be a demand for this so Sangoma may have a compelling reason to invest the work required for it.

Richard