[OpenSIPS-Devel] Add X-XCAP-Preferred-Identity header to XCAP clients

Adrian Georgescu ag at ag-projects.com
Thu Nov 19 21:02:42 CET 2009

First of all, there is no correlation on protocols level between the
SIP Subscribe from a foreign domain and the HTTP GET requests the
watcher performs for fetching an icon stored in an XCAP server in a
foreign domain. So technically you cannot enforce  a policy about who
is allowed to HTTP GET your icon.

According to OMA everything is pipe between operators that have
agreements between them. So by proxying all HTTP requests to an
outbound proxy of operator A the HTTP request will arrive with some
extra asserted headers to operator B who will then trust them and
honor the HTTP request based on them. This is non-sense on the Internet.

Protecting an icon is also complete non-sense as once somebody fetched
it no matter by what means or credentials it can post it on Facebook
and the rest of the universe got it. Is a picture in the end,
something you display in a small area of a remote device, something
you published in the first place to be reachable and not some credit
card secret details. If you think you need high security for an icon
do not publish it in the first place.

The only reasonable thing you can do with the icon is to anonymize the
URL so that people cannot simply guess it. The ones who obtain the URL
from the Notify with presence Event can fetch it because they know
where it is. This is what we are now building in OpenXCAP.

--
Adrian