[OpenSIPS-Devel] [Fwd: Re: [NEW] Virtual DB module]

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Fri Jul 31 08:39:01 CEST 2009

On Thursday 30 July 2009, Razvan Pistolea wrote:
> 2. Synchronization between dbs will be lost.
>
> 3b.        use database managers (that know how to merge databases)
> 3c.        use a cluster db

That sounds good in theory, but in practice fails in so many ways. I've worked
with this for years and even after so much time bidirectional database
replication is extremely fragile and fails easily. Just one example:

You start writing to db1, it performs the operation just fine, but right after
it finished and is about to return you the success response to your query you
lose the connection. If never see the answer, assume it failed and go on to
write the record to db2, which succeeds as well and also returns the answer.
Now you have the same record in both databases and when they will try to
replicate from each other they'll fail. The problem gets even worse with
multiple databases that replicate from each other.

This is not just a theoretical example. I've seen this on a constant basis
when performing a simple operation like heartbeat stop on the master to move
the services to the slave, while somebody writes into the database as the same
time (like for example opensips writing accounting requests for something as
modest as 1.5 calls per second). This is so common, that you can consider
yourself lucky if replication is not broken between the 2 databases when you
stop one to activate the other, without taking measures to stop the influx of
write operations to them during the switch.

--
Dan