[OpenSIPS-Devel] [ opensips-Bugs-2732021 ] wrong ownership change of pid file

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sat Apr 4 22:16:23 CEST 2009

Message generated for change (Tracker Item Submitted) made by ledda
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=1086410&aid=2732021&group_id=232389

Category: tools

Initial Comment:
opensips compiled and installed with prefix under regular account 'dima'.
>make prefix=/home/dima/oser/osrunhead install

After install pid file configured to be:
/home/dima/oser/osrunhead/var/run/opensips.pid
/home/dima/oser/osrunhead/var/run/ was created by 'dima'.

Attempt to start:
osrunhead/sbin/opensipsctl start
failed with such error in log file:

Apr  4 14:31:04 linux-dell osrunhead/sbin/opensips[25718]: ERROR:core:do_suid: failed to change owner of pif file /home/dima/oser/osrunhead/var/run/opensips
.pid: Operation not permitted(1)

I was able to start opensips changing opensipsctl and adding -u option:
$OSIPSBIN -u dima -P $PID_FILE $STARTOPTIONS 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null

Does opensips suppose to change file ownership at all if it was started under regular user 'dima' (not root)?
Also as I understand '-u' options should not be used if I don't want to override user.