[OpenSIPS-Devel] A proposal for community: Bit Size Bugs

Sergio Gutierrez saguti at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 12:51:49 CEST 2008

Hello to all developers.

I would like to tell you about an idea taken from a project I work with, so
that if you consider possible and useful, it be used in OpenSIPS.

I am registered contributor for OpenSolaris (www.opensolaris.org) project,
and in the area of bug fixing, they use a concept called bit size bugs; the
bit size bugs are, as defined in they words* "Bugs marked with the
oss-bite-size keyword tend to be small and self-contained and are a good
place to start to get familiar with OpenSolaris source code."

*When one decides to work in one of these, an specialized engineer works as
sponsor in the bug fixin, offering technical support in bug fix, guidance,
quality assurance, and finally, it is the person in charge of applying the
fix on repositories.*

*I think that a figure like this, could be a good starting point so that
possible new developers start to understand opensips code, and in some time,
they could be full knowledge developer/maintainers of core and modules.
Module owner or module/core maintainers would classify the reported bugs,
according to its complexity, and they would be sposors for people which
offer to work on them.*

*That is my idea.

Thanks in advance for your oppinions and comentaries.

Kind regards,

Sergio G.*
*