[OpenSIPS-Devel] [E164-discuss] ENUM lookups, q-value, and serialize_branches()

Duane at e164 dot org duane at e164.org
Fri Oct 17 23:34:43 CEST 2008

Phil Vandry wrote:
> [For e164.org-discuss: email thread about OpenSIPS's
>  interpretation of the NAPTR RFC for ENUM, how you should
>  handle order&preference and whether you should consider just
>  one record or several when they have the same order. Your
>  comments are welcome. See below.]

Well you should consider several, but only if others fail.

> All those records have identical order and preference so they would fork
> in parallel. The URIs point to three different toll-free VoIP-to-PSTN
> gateways. So the called party gets three calls coming in at the same
> time. Obviously that's wrong and the e164.org folks didn't mean for
> it to happen like that. I guess they just expect you to choose one
> and either discard the others or try them serially after if the chosen
> one fails.

How does this differ from MX records with the same preference, you don't
send email to the same address in parallel to multiple mail servers or
the recipient is likely to receive multiple copies of the same thing.

I'm not sure of the original intent of having both order and preference
however we utilise the order field which is the most significant of the
two to represent either, 100 = end user, 200 = VSP/ITSP block range, 300
non-geographical numbers and then allow users and VSPs to only set the
preference field.

As for non-geographical information, this is a little complicated to
explain, depending what country/area you are from and what you are used
to, in Australia for example we have +6113 numbers which are billed at
about 25 or 30 cent per call to the person calling them, the person
receiving the call, usually businesses, are also charged for the call.

The UK has +4484 and +4487 numbers, although these differ in that only
the person calling them is charged.

 Duane

http://www.freeauth.org - Enterprise Two Factor Authentication
http://e164.org - Global Communication for the 21st Century

"In the long run the pessimist may be proved right,
    but the optimist has a better time on the trip."