[OpenSIPS-Devel] RFC: new opensips design

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Sun Nov 9 04:21:51 CET 2008

On Friday 07 November 2008, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> 2008/11/7 Bogdan-Andrei Iancu <bogdan at voice-system.ro>:
> > Why? - I made a summary here -
> > http://www.opensips.org/pmwiki.php?n=Development.NewDesign#toc1
>
> Hi, I read:
>
> ----------
>  2.4  Asynchronous processing
>     * entire processing in core must be based on a asynchronous
> reactor - there will
>       be dead-time/idle because of I/O ops. The processing capacity
> will dramatically
>       increase.
> ----------
>
> AFAIK Reactor Pattern also waits in I/O opperations. I've read about
> Proactor Pattern that doesn't wait for them:
>   http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/PDF/reactor-siemens.pdf
>   http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/PDF/proactor.pdf
>
> Well, I have no idea about both of them XD

Terminology aside, (nowadays everybody comes up with a new term for the
same thing on the argument that their implementation does it slightly
different), the point of the reactor pattern is to react on events when
they happen and to switch context back to the reactor when an operation
would block, allowing the reactor to chose another readily available
event to process. I'd say to avoid confusion with too many terms we
should use the reactor term to have the meaning above, as this is how
it's implemented in all the cases I'm aware of (I know of no reactor
implementation that waits on I/O).

--
Dan